Oxfam and the fight against poverty

OXFAM SYRIA CRISIS NEPAL ETHIOPIA

Photo by: Glenn Edwards/Oxfam

When I was little, I enjoyed sewing. Back then, being a “small fashion designer”  was such a serious deal: my dolls had to have new outfits every single day. Many times I was in need of materials and my mother`s closet was the perfect place. Obviously,  my mom was not very happy with this idea. To solve this, she took me to a second-hand  shop and  bought me a lot of clothes so I can have enough stock for my miniature creations.

Since then, I love going to second hand  or vintage shops and I am extremely  happy when YouTubers or bloggers share this thrifting belief . This  idea of shopping is eco-friendly, sustainable, supports the community  and discourages paying  enormous amounts for fancy items.

Nowadays, all the commercials are tempting us to buy again and again;  everything that`s in trend, we must have it! Do we really need  to buy new items because of media? I am not talking just about clothes; furniture pieces, home decor, electronics, devices,  jewelry? We just value material things so much and we tend to forget about real feelings…we forget to help people in need ! Oh, I want a new skirt for this season or a new phone… I found myself saying this and then I realize  I am not grateful enough for what I really have.

There are people who don`t afford to eat in this world. And that matters ! We can help. One of my favorite second-hand shop I discovered in the area where I currently live, it`s a charity shop called Oxfam. Part of the Oxfam International confederation, they act, speak out and reject the idea that someone should live in poverty. And they do this in more than 90 countries. Ethiopia food crisis, Yemen and Siria crisis, Nepal earthquake are few examples of emergencies they respond to.   Here is how we can get involved. Fundraising, campaigning or volunteer with them. Oxfam has a lot of upcoming events, we can help them by volunteering in our area, campaigning for change or making a donation. It simple to  donate any items  we don`t need anymore or shop in their stores (online – HERE ). The fundraising events are so fun: running, walking, cycling, music or adventure and all for a good cause.

Not convinced what great finds you can own? Check my march mini-haul with items I found in this charity shop: 4 books, one pair of gold earrings, a floral jewelry box, a sterling silver vintage brooch, a Yves Saint Laurent mini bag and a 25 years old Victorian photography album.

SHOES DA VINCI CODE THE FIFTH MOUNTAIN GEISHA

YVES SAINT LAURENT MINI BAG PERFUME

FLORAL GOLDEN JEWELRY BOX VINTAGE

victorian album YVES SAINT LAURENT BAG VINTAGE BROOCH ROSE

Shop responsibly, help someone who needs it and take time to find really good books on the second-hand shop next to you!

Let me know in the comments if you shop at second-hand stores !

stylish happy

1. May 9, 2016 / 9:33 PM

Hi Catalina,

Thank you so much for this thoughtful post. Even if some of us are not shoppers, we can still buy for a cause and support people who are poor and don’t have money to even afford the basics. Your words put a smile on my face!

Zaria

• Catalina
      June 7, 2016 / 9:10 PM

Zaria,
      Your comment made my day ! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your kind comment. Hope you have a lovely day ! xoxo Catalina

2. April 6, 2016 / 7:01 PM

I do always look around at secondhand shops and donate to a lot of them with my unused or gently used products. I think it is the circle of life and I love Oxfam’s mission.

3. david
    April 6, 2016 / 2:00 PM

Great post, there needs to be awareness for this type of stuff. It’s simple and you help people. Thanks for sharing it.

4. Sandra
    April 6, 2016 / 1:47 PM

I buy second hand clothes and accessories since 3 years now and I m so happy to do it. I live in Belgium and here there is amazing shop for that. I think that everyone should do it no necessarily for everything I mean you can buy time to time secondhand items like I do, I think it is already a big help.

• Catalina
      June 7, 2016 / 9:10 PM

Sandra, when I`ll come in Belgium make me a list with all second hand shops ! xoxo Catalina

5. April 6, 2016 / 1:25 PM

I always shop on sales. This was a great article, I know a few people who NEED to read this.

6. April 6, 2016 / 11:45 AM

It’s good to know there are groups or organizations like Oxfam. A lot people want to help, and they offer a need allowing people to do so.

Good job posting as this helps in awareness on the efforts of Oxfam.

7. Joanna
    April 6, 2016 / 7:44 AM

I do not shop at second hand shops but I did donate to Oxfam last year, for the Nepal earthquake. What I like about them is that after I donated, I haven’t received a lot of communication back, just 2 or 3 letters during the past year, which means they are not wasting funds on marketing instead of focusing on helping.

8. April 6, 2016 / 1:42 AM

It really is easy to succumb ourselves into buying especially when media is tempting us to buy their products. It’s a good thing that I’ve always have the willingness and discipline to make sense out of what I need to buy or not buy.

I used to have retail business (but it’s close now). I sold handcrafted products from the Philippines, products that were created by indigenous people from the mountains. It felt good that I was able to sell their products.

9. April 5, 2016 / 11:35 PM

I love the idea of shopping for a cause, this is very inspiring. Also love all the items 🙂