Animal print – is wearing it against being vegetarian/ vegan?

June 2013, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park. A quiet evening, the restaurant smells of onion rings, and people are chatting in the background. A Native American couple arrives. They are young, probably in their 30s. The outfits they wear incorporate simple garments. But their footwear catches my attention. Smiling, they welcome me politely, and I show them their table.  They are curious to know more about my country. I am interested to find out more about their lifestyle. I ask if they handcrafted the sandals themselves. They confirm I was right, the footwear is actually leather. Although they are vegetarians, they chose to wear a part of the animal to give it continuity after its death. Somehow that moment remained embedded in my memory. Can we show love for the animals without being vegetarians/vegans? Wearing an animal print piece says the opposite?

The question wearing animal print is against being vegetarian or vegan stuck in my mind. I know it can easily be associated it with using animal hides as clothing but it`s just a print. This post is not a debate if you should/shouldn`t be a vegetarian/vegan. We all have different lifestyles.

Where is the essence?

Apparently, because you chose an animal print piece, you encourage the idea of animal exploitation. I never thought that someone wearing this pattern would hurt animals. If I choose florals, it`s simple – I like flowers. That does not mean I’m going to destroy all the gardens. A palm tree print doesn`t encourage me to chop all the trees belonging to the Arecaceae family. I do not think the real issue here is the print.

Too much / not enough action

Oh, are you still a vegetarian?

You’re vegetarian; it’s not enough. Why are you not vegan?

You’re a vegan. Why are you not changing the world?

Are you sure the footwear is made out of vegan leather? It looks natural to me.

Is that an artificial fur coat or real fur?

Oh, people like to assume things and criticise others. You do not have to belong to a particular category to care. As well, you don`t need to justify yourself. Just be what you want to be. We rebel when someone wears leather clothes or  animal print. But what do we feel about zoos, circuses, products tested on animals? Pet-shops or the pollution affecting the animals?

How do we strike the balance?

The animal-based industry deserves our attention. But we often forget to take into consideration the environment. We deliberately chose to poison it. The environmental destruction rages around us and we can do better.

Our small actions lead to large movements. Personally, I have days when I do not feel the need to eat meat products. I decided to reduce the number of leather clothes and avoid the products tested on animals. The very few leather items I have are from the second-hand shops. I believe that damage is already done, so I choose to recycle. Animal print – is wearing it against being vegetarian/ vegan how to style animal print stylish confidence Animal print – is wearing it against being vegetarian/ vegan how to style animal print stylish confidence Animal print – is wearing it against being vegetarian/ vegan how to style animal print stylish confidence

H&M Sweater | BOOHOO Skirt | TIDEBUY Bag | ASOS Boots| MISSGUIDED Jacket

Location Wrynose Pass & Hardknott Pass

Ewa says hi to you all!

What do you think? Being vegetarian/vegan is more of a trend nowadays?

1. November 4, 2017 / 8:28 AM

I feel like many people say that they are vegan just to look cool or whatever when they don’t even know what it is. I’m not vegan nor vegetarian, but I don’t use products tested on animals and am disgusted by everything including animal cruelty. I don’t really need people commenting on what I’m wearing or are eating, I do whatever I want and if they don’t like it then they have to just ignore me. easy peasy lol . but the human kind is always here to criticize pfff

2. November 3, 2017 / 10:51 PM

gorgeous combination. The outfit fits perfectly with the landscape

3. November 3, 2017 / 12:46 PM

Be it if you are a vegan or vegetarian nothing wrong with wearing animdal print, would not over think it, plus you look great.

4. November 2, 2017 / 5:46 AM

WOW! I have never ever thought that wearing an animal print would become “controversial.” I agree with your entirely, that wearing a print is not supporting animal exploitation. What an INTERESTING thought though… this has never entered my brain before…. wow! You look gorgeous by the way.

5. November 2, 2017 / 3:44 AM

I agree with your point of view, completely. I don’t see the harm in wearing animal PRINT. I mean, my goodness, who has time to pick other people apart like that? I can totally understand being against using real furs and whatnot, but if someone is already vegetarian or vegan and they don’t wear real furs (meaning they’re NOT SUPPORTING that) then why pick on them for wearing an animal print??? Yeesh.

6. Via Bella
    November 2, 2017 / 2:22 AM

I love that you touch on vegetarianism because some people flux between the two all the time. And this is normal. I feel so many are shamed into one or the other and that isn’t cool.

7. November 1, 2017 / 10:26 PM

You know, I am not a vegan nor a vegetarian, but I congratulate those who are. But, I believe that if you use the animal leather, after it is dead is a nice way to use everything, waste wise. Never kill the animal for its fur or leather, though!

8. November 1, 2017 / 7:16 PM

Beautiful photos and very relevant question you pose here. As a new vegetarian, in my personal opinion wearing animal print does not detract from a person’s dietary choice or preference. I wouldn’t go as far to call vegan/vegetarianism a trend..but moreso a movement of individuals’ committing to leading a more health conscious lifestyle.

9. November 1, 2017 / 1:55 PM

Yes , why not. Sometimes I think is like in music , we all like music but you are perceived differently if you like classic music .. but then even better if you listen to less known popular stuff, then even better if …. ! Some people add to the rule just to feel more special and when things like that happen with veganism unfortunately they kinds acer people away. I’m ready to give up animal products but my polyester zebra print .. why ??!!! you can wear what you please

10. November 1, 2017 / 7:07 AM

I can see how wearing leather would go against your ideals as a vegan. My eyes are open to the impact our purchases make to global warming, and the effect they have on our planet.

11. November 1, 2017 / 7:05 AM

Ah do what you like, have your conscience tell you what to do, if required, it is okay. I am a vegetarian, don’t bother with animal prints but wouldn’t condone it. It is probably the distance from reality I feel. Thanks for bringing light to this subject. It really makes you think.

12. Elizabeth O
    October 31, 2017 / 7:44 PM

I think people should follow their hearts and do what is best for them. I don’t shove my pov on others even as a vegetarian because I just believe we need to make up our own minds, by educating ourselves on issues. Just my two cents.

13. ashley denae
    October 31, 2017 / 3:37 PM

that H&M sweater is seriously too cute. I have plenty of vegan/vegetarian friends who where animal print and they see nothing wrong with it since it’s a print and not actual animal skin

14. October 31, 2017 / 11:44 AM

I don’t think wearing a print is an issue as you aren’t harming an animal by doing so, if anything you’re celebrating them x

15. October 30, 2017 / 9:38 PM

I am a vegetarian but I do not wear any animal products or use any products that test on animals. Then again like you said where do you draw the line? I personally think we are all entitled to choose what clothes we want to wear and as we all have personal opinions we are thus entitled to live our lives as we please x

• Catalina
      October 30, 2017 / 9:56 PM

You are perfectly right. Sometimes it`s hard to find the perfect balance. To me, leather is a byproduct and I try to reuse the items as much as possible.